Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Years Eve. Alone?

New Years Eve, just like Valentine's Day, is one of those days that single people complain about spending it alone.  I get it, I really do.  Ringing in a New Year is a moment to be hopeful about the months to come, and its hard to be hopeful when you are alone.  Especially when there is all the social pressure to get kissed at midnight.  Or wasted.

It is the day before and I personally have no plans for ringing in 2011, mainly because I totally forgot there was another holiday after Christmas.  Oops.  I have spent the last two years ringing in the year with Tucker  and watching Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve.  Ok, maybe this makes me sound super lame, but I also have no bad memories, regretful kisses, or painful hangovers to mark the start of my year.

New Years Eve is full of parties all around the world, and I'm sure they can be a lot of fun.  At the same time they are exhausting and full of expectations that have a greater chance of smashing to pieces than actually happening.

Maybe this just reflects my low-risk attitude and how I like to be in control of things.  But spending a quiet evening alone gives me the chance to set realistic expectations and reflect on the passing year.  Maybe its enjoying a glass of wine, eating my favorite dinner, and watching one of my favorite movies.  Just no chick flicks, those just are a recipe for a bummin' attitude.

To me spending NYE alone isn't as lame as people make it out to be, its smart.  Don't get me wrong, if I was invited to some party tomorrow night I would go.  But I'm not going to get all upset and down on myself because I am greeting 2011 sans people.  I won't be totally alone, you can count on me texting my favorite friends who have also chosen to spend the evening by themselves.

I won't be dancing in my favorite heels or wearing a rockin' dress.  Just reflecting on God's goodness in my life during 2010 and dreaming big dreams for 2011.


Photo courtesy of ba1969

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, Mallory!

    My NYE plans? Watch the floats for the Rose Parade come out of the warehouse, a fairly early dinner with my parents and a family friend, and a movie. Low key. Quiet and fine by me.

    ReplyDelete