Thursday, January 20, 2011

Independent

in·de·pend·ent
[in-di-pen-duhnt]
–adjective
1.
not influenced by the thought or action of others:independent research.
2.
not dependent; not depending or contingent upon somethingelse for existence, operation, etc.
3.
not relying on another or others for aid or support.
4.
Mathematics (of a quantity or function) not depending uponanother for its value.
5.
Grammar capable of standing syntactically as a complete sentence


I was raised to be independent.  Do things myself, do them well.  Becoming an independent adult was a big value my dad impressed upon me.  It wasn't until this summer when I started to wonder if being independent was a bad thing.


Not just my family, but I think being an independent woman is a value of American culture today.  We are moving away from feeling like we need a man to accomplish anything in life...or anyone.  You see it in the movies, hear it in music all the time.  The only way to get anywhere in life is to do it yourself.  An attitude of "you are only responsible for you, make it count."  Which, may not be a bad thing inherently, but once it festers...


Like I said, I never thought being independent was a bad thing.  My independence put me through high school in 3 years, gave me the courage to move to Poland at 17, and again at 24.  Independence I credit toward some of my best life experiences.  If it wasn't for my gut telling me to not hold anything back...my life would be so boring.


This summer I was talking to some girls in Poland for a short-term mission trip and mentioned that I have always been "independent."  The looks on their faces were puzzled.  "What do you mean you are independent?"  "So you don't think you need other people?"  WHAT?  No, that is not what I meant at all...


I struggled to explain myself and they cautioned me against using the word independent in the future.  Never would I have thought that being independent was something to be wary of.  Over the next few months I wrestled with the idea of independence, was I really doing something completely wrong?

No, I don't think being independent is a bad thing.  If I wasn't independent I would have totally floundered in Poland.  God created me this way, and if I was heavily dependent I never would have moved to Poland in the first place.  Where my problem lies is I hate asking people for help.

I hate knowing I am a burden to other people and I won't ask for help unless there is absolutely no way to get it done myself.  That's my fall.  For example, I wanted to color my hair for the first time and I spent 4 hours translating the directions from Polish to English on Google Translate.  I could have just called a friend and have them tell me, but no.  Independence for the win.

God knows exactly where we struggle, its funny because he won't let us stay there.  I see that with where my life is right now.  I don't have a car so I have to depend on other people to get around.  I don't know how long I am in Colorado, so for now I am sleeping on someone's couch.  I can't go back to Poland until I have the funding, which means I have to ask people to donate.

My life is hanging on dependency.  It has been tough, but I am learning to humble myself and ask for help.  My stomach churns at the thought, but I think its good for me.


Independence?  That's middle class blasphemy.  We are all dependent on one another, every soul of us on earth. -George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment