Saturday, November 6, 2010

Underground Worship

Darkness filled the room as rays of light from the stage shone only bright enough to ensure no one would injure themselves walking around.  A team of talented musicians played off each other in worship, moving with the crowd in the darkness.  Sensing God arriving.

God showed up.  Heavily.  So much so that the air was thick with His presence.  Through the darkness you could hear songs in Spanish, French, Russian, German, Polish, English.  Pure worship.  A taste of Heaven.

The young man on stage reached for his Bible and invited the hidden crowd to do the same.  "Find a passage of Scripture written as praise."  My hands crack the cover of my navy blue Bible, flipping over to Psalms.  A verse catches my eye. "Hm" I think to myself as my eyes shift over to verse one.

"We are going to read these praises back to Him, claim these words as our praise to God."

"Uno...Dos...Tres..."

I start reading and my heart melts.  My voice catches in my chest.  Tears slowly roll down my cheeks.  God just gave this to me.  He knew what I needed to pray.

And just like that the verge of tears I had been holding in all day came pouring out.  God was so good.  Tears of joy.  Tears of sadness.  Tears of expectancy.  Pouring out, emptying myself.


Psalm 138
Of David

I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart;
before the "gods" I will sing your praise.

I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name
for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things
your name and your word.

When I called, you answered me;
you made me bold and stouthearted.

May all the kings of the earth praise you, O LORD,
when they hear the words of your mouth.
May they sing of the ways of the LORD,
for the glory of the LORD is great.

Though the LORD is on high, he looks upon the lowly,
but the proud from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes,
with you right hand you save me.

The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
your love, O LORD, endures forever --
do not abandon the works of your hands.

Italics mine  

No comments:

Post a Comment